Medicare Open Enrollment
For 2016 Medicare Open Enrollment is in the fall, from October 15 to December 7. (The specific dates changed in 2011, but have been the same ever since, and should remain as-is for the foreseeable future.)
During this annual enrollment period (AEP) you can make changes to your coverage.
- You can switch from Original Medicare to Medicare Advantage, or vice versa.
- You can also switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another, or from one Medicare Part D (prescription drug) plan to another.
- And if you didn’t enroll in a Medicare Part D plan when you were first eligible, you can do so during the general open enrollment, although a late enrollment penalty may apply.
- If you want to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, you must meet some basic criteria.
- You must be enrolled in Medicare Part A and B.
- You must live in the plan’s service area.
- You cannot have End-Stage Renal Disease (some exceptions apply).
Be aware that certain states may have additional consumer protections and rights over and above federal law, so check with your state insurance department for details.
Are you thinking a Medicare Supplement plan could be good for you? I can help you figure that out. As a senior with Pre-Existing conditions (50+ years) I always enjoy helping people find the plan that is right for them. If you would like to get more information via this website use the links above. If you prefer to speak with a human; call or email me to schedule a telephone appointment. To take a look at a chart with all available Medicare Supplement insurance plans right (click here).
- Call Cary Nagdeman a licensed insurance agent (20+ years) at (866) 374-0002; Monday through Friday, 8AM to 7PM ET.